Senior Technical Writer
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: October 5, 2017
Intellectual Ventures’ (IV) Institute for Disease Modeling is part of Intellectual Ventures’ Global Good program, a collaborative effort with Bill Gates. Global Good takes on some of humanity’s toughest problems through the power of invention by drawing on resources normally reserved for commercial pursuits in the developed world. Global Good combines IV’s unique invention prowess with the expertise of a leading humanitarian organization, forward-looking governments, and commercial partners that share our vision. Together, we invent, develop, and deploy commercially-viable technologies that improve life in developing countries.
The Institute for Disease Modeling (IDM) is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. Our research and software teams are made up of a diverse and talented group of individuals attacking the complex problems found within global health to improve the world we live in. As part of Intellectual Ventures Global Good initiative, IDM is committed to improving and saving lives in developing countries through the use of quantitative analysis.
IDM is looking for a versatile Senior Technical Writer to produce high-quality documentation that supports our research endeavors. You will be responsible for producing documentation for IDM's disease modeling software, documenting components and features in an agile release process for modelers and non-modelers alike, including scientists and public health professionals. You will contribute new ideas on how best to explore learning the epidemiology models and new formats that would best reach our target audience. You will also provide ongoing content for the team’s website, including news and events and spotlighting software features and tutorials. You will contribute to our video learning center by writing content for video tutorials.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated to tackle ambiguous projects. The position requires an individual who is willing to jump in and learn the full aspects of the disease modeling software, including running disease simulations. You will contribute content development for a research audience. We’re looking for a candidate who enjoys working on small integrated teams, can build strong working relationships with the software and research groups, enjoys technical challenges, and is adaptable to rapid change and fast-paced deadlines.
- Work as part of a team to produce disease modeling documentation for modelers, scientists, and public health professionals.
- Investigate training methodologies for new hires and research collaborators.
- Create website content including news and event articles and research publication spotlights.
- Ensure cross-team coordination by working with research, development, QA, and support staff.
- Suggest new methods of producing content relevant to a research audience, e.g. videos, tutorials, etc.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Degree in science or technology-related field.
- 5+ years of experience writing documentation.
- Must be an excellent written and verbal communicator.
- Experience architecting, writing, and editing software documentation (developer documentation is highly desirable)
- Experience with single source CMS required. Experience with Sphinx highly desirable.
- Obsessive about technical accuracy.
- Passion to thrive in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- A proactive and open-minded attitude to resolve problems and deliver results.
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and project management abilities.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Willingness to help create, maintain, and adhere to style guides and standard processes.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud products such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign highly desirable.
We are an equal opportunity employer