Software Test Engineer (STE / SDET) - Data services
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: February 12, 2018
The Institute for Disease Modeling (IDM), part of Intellectual Ventures’ Global Good program, is a collaborative effort to simulate the eradication of infectious diseases using computer software. The IDM team is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. Our team is composed of research scientists and software professionals who focus on creating powerful and innovative disease modeling and data analysis tools to help researchers and policy makers understand diseases, their causes, the way they spread, and the best types of interventions to use for the particular situation faced. The IDM team architects advanced models of disease transmission, develops computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conducts analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data, and identifies critical knowledge gaps. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes. IDM is committed to improving and saving lives in developing countries through the use of quantitative analysis.
The IDM Test Engineer will work on testing and developing the high-performance computing pipeline for infectious disease modeling. This pipeline includes a service for packaging climate and population data for our infectious disease model, a database layer for storing simulation data and configurations, a web service layer for creating and monitoring groups of simulations, and a web UI layer for letting scientists see the status and results of their modeling work. This position will focus more on data quality, and less on the disease modeling specifics. This will require a combination of automated data integrity validation, data pipeline maintenance, and a fair amount of manual testing. This position reports to the Software Test Manager – IDM.
- Work with the development team to create test plans and test cases within the required scope for a project
- Use data science techniques to validate data integrity.
- Develop, document, and secure reusable test automation.
- Document test plans and execute manual test cases.
- Communicate test status and strategy to the development team and test team.
- Advocate for end-user functionality in triage and planning meetings.
- Demonstrate flexibility in collaborating with other members of the test team projects.
- Time management to deliver results by expected dates.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree or five years of work experience in a related field (computer science, mathematics, natural science)
- Must have 5 years of experience as a Software Test Professional (SDET, STE) with experience testing distributed applications (UI, service layer, database layer)
- Must be proficient and have demonstrated proficiency with:
- Multiple database technologies (MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, other).
- Test automation frameworks (NUnit, MSTest, JUnit, etc)
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate potentially complex issues to both development and senior management
- Must be able to operate both independently and within a team environment, be self-motivated and results-minded (be capable of managing own schedule)
- Experience developing and consuming web services
- Experience with a cloud computing solution, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Compute
- Experience with all phases of the software development lifecycle (SDLC): Design, Implementation, Testing, Maintenance.
- Experience logging, tracking, and regressing software defects (bugs)
- Experience with multiple development environments (Microsoft Visual Studio, Eclipse, PyCharm, RubyMine)
- Experience with multiple source code repositories (GitHub, Visual Studio Online, Mercurial)
- Prefer candidates possessing commercial experience implementing software solutions on Windows and Linux platforms
Joining our group provides unique opportunities to interact with global-health policymakers, to collaborate with world-class research laboratories and non-profit organizations, and to contribute to global and national disease control strategies.
We are an equal opportunity employer