Software Test Engineer (SDET/STE)
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: January 21, 2020
IDM shapes global efforts to eradicate infectious diseases and to achieve permanent improvements in the health of those most in need. By developing, using, and freely sharing computational modeling tools, we advise policymakers, promote quantitative decision-making and advance scientific methodologies. IDM is a highly dynamic organization, composed of research scientists and software professionals, with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes. IDM is an institute within the Global Good Fund, a collaboration between Intellectual Ventures and Bill and Melinda Gates.
IDM is seeking a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) to bring their passion for software quality to bear on the challenges of infectious disease eradication. The SDET will work closely with scientists and software developers to manually test new features and develop automated tests of IDM’s infectious disease models. This individual will help support scientific research teams’ adoption of software development practices. This work will ensure that IDM’s scientists can focus on the scientific challenges of disease modeling, with a high level of confidence in the quality of their underlying software. This will require automation of statistical tests, collaboration with scientific professionals, and manual exploratory testing. This position reports to the Software Test Manager – IDM.
- Partnering with our research and software teams to test new model features as they are being developed.
- Learning epidemiological science and statistical concepts to test modeling software.
- Creating test plans based on requirements gathered from development and research.
- Automating new tests of command line tools and integrating them into existing test harnesses.
- Designing, documenting, and executing manual test of software features./li>li>
- Securing documentation and source code into team repositories.
- Communication of test status to development and management teams.
- Learning new test methodologies and technologies to keep on top of industry best practices.
- Adding tests and code-reviewing new novel modeling software in Python and R.
- Perform other tasks as necessary to support the development and research teams.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific or mathematical field, or 5 years of experience as a Software Test Professional (Software Test Engineer, SDET, or similar)
- Development, documentation, and execution of manual test cases in short timeframes
- Logging, tracking, and closing software defect reports (bugs)
- Tracking of work in a test case management system
- 3 years of experience with the following:
- Scripted test automation (Python, PowerShell, shell scripting, batch file, Perl, or other)
- Building and debugging of compiled software with Eclipse, Visual Studio, or equivalent
- Automation and debugging of Unit Tests using NUnit, JUnit, MSTest, or equivalent
- Working with a test scheduling system (Bamboo, Jenkins, or equivalent)
- Securing code with GitHub, SVN, Source Depot, or similar
- Professional experience in working with basic statistical and scientific concepts
- Experience in the use of lightweight development environments like Netbeans, PyCharm, or RStudio
- Experience working in an Agile team environment with frequently changing priorities
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate complex issues to development and management
- Operate both independently and as part of a team, be self-motivated, and results-minded
- Prefer candidates with experience:
- Using Command-Line Interfaces (CLI) for performing computing tasks
- Running software on both Microsoft and Linux platforms
- Using Cloud Computing solutions (Microsoft Azure, Google Compute, AWS)
We are an equal opportunity employer