Software Engineer – Modeling
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: May 14, 2020
As part of Intellectual Ventures' Global Good initiative, the Institute for Disease Modeling’s (IDM) mission is to guide global efforts towards the eradication and control of infectious disease through the use and promotion of quantitative analysis.The IDM team is composed of research scientists and software professionals who create advanced models of disease transmission, develop computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conduct analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data, and identify critical knowledge gaps. IDM is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes.
IDM’s software models of infectious disease transmission simulate disease dynamicsover a wide range of detail and in many different dimensions. Our models range from generic, influenza-like diseases to detailed mechanistic models of host-borne diseases like malaria. Models can scale from single individuals to millions and from single households to the entire globe. Smaller models can run on an individual researcher’s workstation. Big scenarios and large ensembles of simulations run on high-performance computing clusters.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Modeling development team. The person in this role will be involved with developing software tools for all phases of disease modeling, and all stages of the modeling pipeline and will focus on extending and optimizing the capabilities of existing disease models and crafting new tools to capitalize on efficient strategies for modeling disease prevalence, population statistics, and transmission dynamics.
We work primarily in C++ and Python on both Microsoft Windows and Linux. Disease modeling involves accessing many sources of data - including population information, disease prevalence and incidence, and weather - so we also use a number of data analytics tools and technologies, such as MATLAB, R, relational databases, JSON formatted data, and web APIs.
- Collaborate with researchers to understand requirements, features, and improvements for the modeling software. Work iteratively with them to refinespecifications and validate implementations.
- Work with researchers, developers, and testers to generate specifications thatdescribe research needs, guide implementation, and enable comprehensivetesting.
- Collaborate with colleagues to review and provide feedback on specifications,designs, code, test plans, and test automation.
- Work independently, with support from the rest of the development team, todesign and implement new models, model features, and improvements.
- Promptly address issues identified by users or the testing team.
- Collaborate with testers and fellow developers to complete work iterations.
- Set personal goals and report status regularly to the team and management.
- Work with external IDM collaborators (universities, NGOs, etc.) to understandtheir modeling needs and improve their experience of IDM software.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (preferred) or in a scientific field of study.
- At least 6 years of software development experience.
- Experience with technical software: scientific, engineering, statistical, ormodeling.
- Proficient with C++ and Python.
- Comfortable and productive in an iterative/agile team environment.
- Experience developing unit tests and component tests.
- Must work well with team members.
- Experience with Windows and Visual Studio is a plus.
- Experience with Linux is a plus.
- Experience with data analysis tools such as MATLAB, Octave, or R is a plus.
IDM is committed to being a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to performessential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
We are an equal opportunity employer