Information Technology Operational Manager
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: September 23, 2019
The Institute for Disease Modeling, part of Intellectual Ventures’ Global Good program, shapes global efforts to eradicate infectious diseases and to achieve permanent improvements in the health of those most in need. By developing, using, and freely sharing computational modeling tools, we advise policymakers, promote quantitative decision-making and advance scientific methodologies. IDM is a highly dynamic organization, composed of research scientists and software professionals, with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes. IDM is an institute within the Global Good Fund, a collaboration between Intellectual Ventures and Bill and Melinda Gates.
The IDM IT Operational Manager will lead an operations team as they support an elite team of software developers, testers, and researchers tasked with advanced scientific investigation at the Institute for Disease Modeling. This position will work closely with the entire IDM team to deploy and sustain our software and hardware systems, ensuring the stability of our computing environment. This position reports to the Director of Software Test and Operations – IDM.
The individual must also possess excellent interpersonal skills and should be comfortable working in a team environment. They must be able to work independently and maintain excellent customer service skills. They should be able to identify system issues and solve them in an effective and efficient manner. They must be able to work well even under pressure and can respond to, and prioritize, the incoming work according to the stringent deadlines.
- Manage, lead, and support the development of an operations and application support team.
- Management of an on premise and Azure based infrastructure.
- Resolve software and hardware issues reported by our internal research and software teams.
- Perform daily checks of the High-Performance Computing (HPC) cluster environments.
- Apply patching and updates to operating system and third-party software on schedule.
- Manage the deployment of software to both internally developed and third-party applications or systems.
- Frequently perform machine utilization activities, procuring and decommissioning hardware when required.
- Complete frequent user and performance audits of the environment to ensure the highest level of stability.
- Produce reports demonstrating the overall health of the supporting infrastructure.
- Work with program management, development, and test teams to coordinate “lights-on” expectations for supported applications.
- Assist in the development and support of an internal process to maintain our infrastructure.
- Interface with internal technology groups to determine the needs and success criteria for hardware and software rollouts.
- Ensure procedures are clearly documented, validated, and up-to-date.
- Produce communication to the senior manager to outline potential infrastructure impacts.
Qualifications and Skills
- Must have at least two years of experience leading small teams within an operational support discipline.
- Must have at least five years of application support (helpdesk) experience, displaying proficiency resolving hardware and software interoperability issues in a mixed OS environment.
- Must have working experience with administrative proficiency in:
- Windows 10
- Linux (CentOS 7.x or Ubuntu 18.x or greater preferred)
- Database systems (MS preferred)
- Online software development infrastructure such as Visual Studio Online and Git
- Working exposure with competency in:
- Source code repositories such as Git, SVN, VSO or other
- Microsoft IIS
- LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, Perl/Python)
- Must have experience sustaining a high-performance cluster environment. Microsoft HPC or SLURM experience highly desired.
- Must have work experience in an agile team environment.
- Prefer a candidate with exposure to Azure.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and apply new software tools.
- Ability to quickly understand our working environment and seek opportunities to streamline our overall process.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related field or at least eight years of experience in a software development organization.
- Must be able to operate both independently or within a team environment, be self-motivated, and results-minded.
- Prefer candidates possessing commercial experience implementing software solutions on Windows and Linux platforms.
We are an equal opportunity employer