IT Systems Engineer
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: July 25, 2019
The Institute for Disease Modeling, part of Intellectual Ventures’ Global Good program, shapes global efforts to eradicate infectious diseases and to achieve permanent improvements in the health of those most in need. By developing, using, and freely sharing computational modeling tools, we advise policymakers, promote quantitative decision-making and advance scientific methodologies. IDM is a highly dynamic organization, composed of research scientists and software professionals, with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes. IDM is an institute within the Global Good Fund, a collaboration between Intellectual Ventures and Bill and Melinda Gates.
The IDM System Engineer role will help support our entire computing platform with primary focus in the support and management of IDM’s infrastructure systems and computing environments. These systems are used by an elite team of software developers, testers, and researchers as they are tasked with advanced scientific investigation at the Institute for Disease Modeling. This position requires an individual who is a self-starter, who is highly motivated, detail oriented, and flexible. The individual in this position must be ready to learn technologies that include SLURM cluster management, GPU computing and programs, or cloud-based container management.
The individual must also possess excellent interpersonal skills and should be comfortable working in a team environment. They must be able to work independently and maintain excellent customer service skills. They should be able to identify system issues and solve them in an effective and efficient manner. They must be able to work well even under pressure and can respond to, and prioritize, the incoming work according to the stringent deadlines.
- Provide multi-tiered support to customers, stakeholders, and collaborators by diagnosing and troubleshooting technical problems and documenting all work efforts and outcomes in IDM’s existing ticketing system.
- Work collaboratively to support an existing cross-platform (Windows and Linux) backend infrastructure.
- Ensure qualitative and security updates occur on schedule to IDM’s physical (server and workstation) and virtual server environments.
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software, and system management tools.
- Frequently perform machine utilization activities, both server and desktop, recommending the procurement or decommissioning of hardware when required.
- Assist in the development, deployment, and support of our internal processes to maintain our desktop, server, and system environments.
- Work within the IT Operations team to integrate new hardware equipment into an existing mixed-OS environment while properly managing IDM’s assets.
- Maintain proper documentation, in the IDM Wiki of procedures, configurations, programs, or technical measures taken to Ensure procedures, configuration, programs, or technical measure are clearly documented, validated, up-to-date, and communicated throughout the team using IDM’s existing knowledge base.
Key Qualifications and Required Skills
- Must have at least 3-5 years of experience with Windows and/or Linux server engineering and/or administration.
- Must have at least 3 years of multi-tiered support experience, displaying proficiency resolving hardware and software interoperability issues in a mixed OS environment while employing customer advocate skills.
- Working experience with administrative proficiency in:
- Linux (CentOS 6.x or Ubuntu 16.x or greater preferred)
- Windows 10
- Windows Server (2012 R2 or greater preferred)
- Working exposure with competency in:
- SVN, GitHub or other source code control system
- LAMP/LEMP experience is a plus (Linux, Apache, Nginx, MySQL/MariaDB, PHP/Perl/Python)
- Ability and/or experience working in an agile or autonomous team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and apply new software tools and seek opportunities to streamline our overall process.
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate potentially complex issues to the larger team.
- Must be able to operate both independently or within a team environment, be self-motivated, and results-minded.
We are an equal opportunity employer