Director of Software Engineering
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: April 2, 2019
The Institute for Disease Modeling shapes global efforts to eradicate infectious diseases and to achieve permanent improvements in the health of those most in need. By developing, using, and freely sharing computational modeling tools, we advise policymakers, promote quantitative decision-making and advance scientific methodologies. IDM is a highly dynamic organization, composed of research scientists and software professionals, with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes. IDM is an institute within the Global Good Fund, a collaboration between Intellectual Ventures and Bill and Melinda Gates.
The Director of Software Engineering reports to the Vice President & General Manager of IDM and will work directly with the software and research managers to establish overall software strategy, software organizational effectiveness, and the implementation of best-practice software development processes in support of IDM’s mission. Unlike a traditional software company, IDM provides program and policy advice without charge and releases IDM software tools without restriction as open source to the global health community. The individual filling this role is an integral part of the IDM Leadership Team, assisting in shaping the culture, tactical and strategic goals, and the overall success of IDM’s contributions to the world health community.
- Empower software engineers to achieve the biggest positive impact while achieving their personal development and career goals.
- Ensure software project teams are operating at a velocity to deliver measured quality software to meet the goals of IDM’s research teams in a timely manner.
- Create software roadmaps and build consensus for software prioritization.
- Manage an organization of twenty software engineers.
- Mentor direct reports and assist in their personal career development.
- Create the software vision and strategic software direction for IDM.
- Implement and oversee best-practice software process.
- Research, present, and implement innovative solutions to increase in our technological capabilities.
- Collaborate with research management and information technology teams.
- Leverage domain knowledge, software development experience and history in software architectural planning sessions.
- Creatively and successfully solve big challenges, thriving in a rapidly changing environment and collaborating with high achievers.
- Preserve the transparent and fun culture, with an understanding when to step in and when to let the team work through their challenges.
Qualifications and Skills
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study or equivalent experience and overall at least 20 years of software engineering experience.
- Must have a minimum of 8-10 years software developer experience.
- Must have a minimum of 6-8 years software development management experience.
- Must have proven and outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Must be familiar with multiple software development methodologies.
- Must have ability to work positively with a wide range of highly talented individuals.
- Must have experience and a proven track-record of effective communication.
- Must have experience with simultaneously managing multiple projects.
- Must have experience with proven leadership skills.
- Must have experience in creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience in the software programming languages: C++, C#, JAVA and scripting language Python is a plus.
- Experience developing software for research organizations is a plus.
- Experience in high performance computing environments is a plus.
- Experience in support of software end users is a plus.
- Experience in infectious disease modeling or related field is a plus.
- Science or math background is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer