System Administrator and Application Support, IDM
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: May 24, 2018
As part of Intellectual Ventures' Global Good initiative, the Institute for Disease Modeling’s (IDM) mission is to guide global efforts towards the eradication and control of infectious disease through the use and promotion of quantitative analysis. The IDM team is composed of research scientists and software professionals who create advanced models of disease transmission, develop computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conduct analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data, and identify critical knowledge gaps. IDM is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes.
The IDM System Administrator and Application Support role will help support our entire computing platform while having a primary role in the support and management of IDM’s Linux systems and computing environments for an elite team of software developers, testers, and researchers as they are tasked with advanced scientific investigation at the Institute for Disease Modeling. This position requires an individual who is a self-starter, who is highly motivated, detail oriented, flexible and willing to follow directions given by leadership. The individual in this position must be ready to learn new things and apply the latest technologies that would help the organization to grow. The individual must also possess excellent interpersonal skills and should be comfortable working in a team environment. He/she must be able to work independently and maintain excellent customer service skills. He/she should be able to identify the system issues and solve them in an effective manner. He/she must be able to work well even under pressure and can respond to, and prioritize, the incoming work according to the stringent deadlines.
- Work collaboratively with IDM team members to extend and strengthen the IDM computing environment, focusing on the maintenance and further integration of Linux solutions into an existing cross-platform backend infrastructure.
- Participate and ensure qualitative and security updates occur on schedule to IDM’s physical and virtual server environments.
- Track and resolve software and hardware issues reported by the research and software teams.
- Develop, evaluate, and implement Linux standards that increase successful outcomes of IDM staff and research.
- Create cross-platform tools and employ innovative technologies to help teams make the most out of the available infrastructure.
- Frequently perform machine utilization activities, both server and desktop, procuring and decommissioning hardware when required.
- Complete frequent user and performance audits of the IDM computing environment to ensure the highest level of stability is available.
- Assist in the development, deployment, and support of internal processes to maintain our desktop and server environment.
- Work within the IT Operations team to integrate new equipment into an existing mixed-OS environment.
- Ensure all assets are properly recorded and tracked within our inventory system.
- Maintain proper documentation, in the IDM Wiki of procedures, configurations, programs, or technical measures taken to ensure IDM knowledge bases are clearly documented, validated, up-to-date, and communicated throughout the team.
Qualifications and Skills
- Must have at least 3-5 years of experience with Linux server hardening and/or deploying domain-joined computers; managing network storage or high-performance clusters is a plus.
- Must have at least 5 years of helpdesk support experience, displaying proficiency resolving hardware and software interoperability issues in a mixed OS environment.
- Working experience with administrative proficiency in:
- Linux (CentOS 6.x or Fedora 27 or greater preferred)
- Windows 10
- Working exposure with competency in:
- SVN or other source code control system
- Microsoft IIS or other web server
- LAMP experience desired (Linux, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, Perl/Python)
- Ability and/or experience working in an agile team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and apply new software tools.
- Ability to quickly understand our working environment and seek opportunities to streamline our overall process.
- Be a self-starter while acting as a motivator for your team members both in SAAS and the general IDM/IV groups.
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate potentially complex issues to the larger team.
- Must be able to operate both independently or within a team environment, be self-motivated, and results-minded.
We are an equal opportunity employer