Research Program Manager
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: October 17, 2019
The Institute for Disease Modeling, part of Intellectual Ventures’ Global Good program, shapes global efforts to eradicate infectious diseases and to achieve permanent improvements in the health of those most in need. By developing, using, and freely sharing computational modeling tools, we advise policymakers, promote quantitative decision-making and advance scientific methodologies. IDM is a highly dynamic organization, composed of research scientists and software professionals, with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes. IDM is an institute within the Global Good Fund, a collaboration between Intellectual Ventures and Bill and Melinda Gates.
The Program Manager will work with research teams at the Institute for Disease Modeling to facilitate and accelerate large, complex, and time-sensitive projects. They help the research teams to consistently deliver high impact modeling and analytics results, reporting directly to the directors of research.
- Understand the research efforts IDM is involved in, and work with research teams to identify key components, dependencies, opportunities for reusing existing tools and data.
- Support research teams in establishing goals, planning, tracking progress, and managing through obstacles to achieve objectives.
- Help develop and maintain good planning, project management, and reporting practices across the research teams.
- Support good communication practices between teams, collaborators, and stakeholders.
- Become familiar, at a high level, with the software systems used at IDM, e.g., wiki, bug tracking, code repositories, computational modeling tools and the simulation commissioning platform.
Qualifications and Skills
- Master-level education in science, or a quantitative field.
- Strong numerical and analytical aptitude.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Strong (5+ years) experience managing projects in cross-functional R&D teams, or equivalent.
- Attention to detail, organized, and high standard for work quality.
- Ability to prioritize their work independently to accomplish multiple concurrent objectives.
- Experienced team member with demonstrated ability to work productively as part of a team, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be energetic, self-motivated, and be willing to work extended hours to meet a deadline when necessary.
- PMP certification a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer