Research scientist - machine learning
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: June 16, 2016
The research scientist will work at the Institute for Disease Modeling, a team of researchers and software developers at Intellectual Ventures tasked to study and model global disease eradication, focusing principally on malaria, polio, HIV, and tuberculosis. Our group architects advanced models of disease transmission, develops computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conducts innovative analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data (programmatic data, financial data, clinical trials data, and cluster surveys data), and identifies epidemiologically critical knowledge gaps. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in Africa and Asia, as well as universities and research institutes.
As part of this group, the research scientist will work to identify and lead research projects relevant to different aspects of the group's analysis and modeling work. This position will be partly responsible for the collection, analysis, and processing of large amounts of data used either as input or for the validation of our epidemiological models. The input data needed are varied and may include migration data, weather data, genetic sequence data, demographic indicators, socioeconomic indicators, and public health factors. Often times the data sets available for geographic areas of interest will be sparse or will be dispersed across multiple sources. In this case, the research scientist would be responsible for using models to reconstruct more detailed data sets that could represent the actual dynamics.
Joining our group provides unique opportunities to interact with global health policy makers, to collaborate with world-class research laboratories and non-profit organizations, and to contribute to global and national disease eradication strategies.
Our group seeks individuals with demonstrated achievements and a passion for excellence. Our compensation package is in line with this commitment.
Qualifications and Skills
- Ph. D. in Statistics, computer science, mathematics, epidemiology, or a related field
- Direct experience with machine learning techniques, and familiarity with machine learning libraries
- Ability to read & write code in a language like R or Matlab as well as familiarity with C/C++
- Experience in managing and organizing large data sets is a plus
- Modeling experience or knowledge of epidemiology is a plus
- Experience working as part of a software development team is a plus
- Knowledge of public health issues in the developing world settings, with preference given to first-hand experience is a plus
- Must work well in a team
- Must be a clear and effective communicator
- Must be highly self-motivated and results-minded
- Must have strong analytical skills
- Work with the research and modeling team in order to identify and anticipate data needs
- Search for data sets, conduct literature reviews, and write data-access proposals
- Collect, analyze and process data to inform the modeling effort
- Assemble input data sets and model validation data sets
- Design and utilize state of the art machine learning models to build projections of disease incidence, primary health care outcomes, and other related quantities
- Run model sensitivity analysis to determine the impact of uncertain data sets
- Assist and lead the production of research articles
We are an equal opportunity employer