Intern Software Test Engineer
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: January 29, 2019
As part of Intellectual Ventures' Global Good initiative, the Institute for Disease Modeling’s (IDM) mission is to guide global efforts towards the eradication and control of infectious disease through the use and promotion of quantitative analysis. The IDM team is composed of research scientists and software professionals who create advanced models of disease transmission, develop computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conduct analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data, and identify critical knowledge gaps. IDM is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes.
Description of Project: IDM's Computational Model Test Team has automated statistical tests of our infectious disease model that run with our regular builds of our modeling software. Currently, these tests are executed through our regression testing scripts. This project is to get these tests adapted to run through the same simulation management software used by our Infectious Disease modeling teams.
- Refactor existing Scientific Feature Tests (SFTs) of the Disease Transmission Kernel (DTK) to use the param_overrides features of the DTK regression harness (r_t.py), and become familiar with r_t.py functionality
- Building upon previous refactor, refactor existing python tool (DTK-tools) based tests of DTK features to consume param_overrides features and become familiar with DTK-tools functionality
- Building upon both previous refactors, create new tests of an existing DTK model to allow statistical validation of stochastic model features that can be used as examples for modeling scientists
Key Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Experience in software development in python
- Use of distributed source control (GitHub preferred)
- Use of defect tracking systems (GitHub issues, JIRA tickets, or equivalent)
- Use of statistical software (Python Pandas preferred, R or other statistical libraries acceptable)
- Background in a natural science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy, etc) preferred
Joining our group provides unique opportunities to interact with global-health policymakers, to collaborate with world-class research laboratories and non-profit organizations, and to contribute to global and national disease control strategies.
We are an equal opportunity employer