Research Analyst – Healthcare Delivery
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: September 29, 2017
The Institute for Disease Modeling (IDM), part of Intellectual Ventures’ Global Good program, is a collaborative effort to simulate the eradication of infectious diseases using computer software. The IDM team is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. Our team is composed of research scientists and software professionals who focus on creating powerful and innovative disease modeling and data analysis tools to help researchers and policy makers understand diseases, their causes, the way they spread, and the best types of interventions to use for the particular situation faced. The IDM team architects advanced models of disease transmission, develops computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conducts analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data, and identifies critical knowledge gaps. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes. IDM is committed to improving and saving lives in developing countries through the use of quantitative analysis.
We seek a full-time Research Analyst to work as part of the IDM analysis and model usage center and to gather, analyze, and model data about healthcare delivery in countries with a high burden of communicable diseases. The analyst will focus on data related to the impact, effectiveness, and efficiency of healthcare delivery systems, e.g., multi-cluster health and demographic surveys, epidemiological studies, clinical trials, and administrative data reported by routine healthcare systems and other disease control campaign efforts. As part of their work, the analyst will learn about different types of healthcare technologies and interventions, e.g., drugs, vaccines, diagnostics, medical devices, cold chain systems, etc. Using these multiple sources, the analyst will identify important features (trends, anomalies, patterns) through data mining, visualization, and analytics. They will also build models for healthcare efficiency and effectiveness based on their findings. The analyst will further inform and refine their models by consulting the scientific literature, and working closely with modelers, programmers, and statisticians on the team. The analyst will write summaries of their results. The analyst will also present to key stakeholders, at conferences, and assist in the preparation research articles.
The IDM team architects advanced models of disease transmission, develops computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conducts innovative analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data (programmatic data, financial data, clinical trials data, and cluster surveys data), and identifies epidemiologically critical knowledge gaps. As part of our work, we collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes.
Joining our group provides unique opportunities to interact with global-health policymakers, to collaborate with world-class research laboratories and non-profit organizations, and to contribute to global and national disease-eradication strategies.
- Gathers data about public health interventions and the delivery of drugs, vaccines, and medical devices in countries of interest, e.g., maternal and child health, nutrition, and family planning. These data can take the form of multi-cluster surveys, geographic information (e.g., GPS coordinates of health centers, maps of population and roads), or administrative data collected by health delivery programs
- Analyzes the gathered health delivery data to discover relevant features, e.g., trends in time, by region, anomalies, and correlations between important quantities
- Models the efficiency and effectiveness of primary health care delivery and other health interventions based on the data gathered and related analyses.
- Reviews the scientific literature on the delivery of primary healthcare and other health interventions, uses past research to inform what new analyses to perform and to set the context for current research
- Works closely with the modelers, programmers, and statisticians on the team to refine the models and use them to conduct sensitivity analyses, explore tradeoffs among possible interventions, and optimize the delivery of health care
- Write summaries of his/her results to be used in policy recommendations, white papers, and scientific publications
- Assists in the preparation of research articles and conference presentations communicating the project and its results to the scientific community.
Key Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Masters in science or in a quantitative field (e.g. Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Physics)
- Proficiency in at least one data-analysis or scripting language (e.g. MATLAB, python, R)
- Advanced proficiency with Excel, and ability to connect and query a database (e.g., Access, SQL)
- Ability to read and summarize research articles.
- Attention to detail and high standard for quality of work product
- Must be a clear and effective communicator
- Work extended hours to meet a deadline, and a demonstrated ability to work productively as part of a team.
- Knowledge of issues of public health in developing world settings is a plus
- Experience working with a software development team is a plus
- Having published articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals is a plus.
- Fluency in French, Spanish, or Portuguese is a plus
Joining our group provides unique opportunities to interact with global-health policymakers, to collaborate with world-class research laboratories and non-profit organizations, and to contribute to global and national disease control strategies.
We are an equal opportunity employer