Postdoctoral Research Scientist—Data, Dynamics, and Analytics
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: March 2, 2018
As part of Intellectual Ventures' Global Good initiative, the Institute for Disease Modeling’s (IDM) mission is to guide global efforts towards the eradication and control of infectious disease through the use and promotion of quantitative analysis. The IDM team is composed of research scientists and software professionals who create advanced models of disease transmission, develop computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conduct analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data, and identify critical knowledge gaps. IDM is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes.
We seek a postdoctoral research scientist to join the IDM Data, Dynamics, and Analytics team for a 2-3 year period. The researcher will be focused on applying modern data science, machine-learning, and statistical techniques to a wide-range of data sources including infectious disease data, household survey data, genomes, etc. We aim to leverage the growing success of modern analytic and numerical methods to investigate and characterize the diverse datasets being collected in resource-constrained settings. The primary goal is to help with near-term public policy questions facing the global health community. This research will be communicated to the scientific community through presentations at conferences and publications in peer-review journals. We will also communicate this work to relevant global health policymakers. Joining our group offers a unique opportunity to interact with a wide range of near-term important challenges facing the global health community, while concurrently developing a competitive CV to launch a career in global development.
- Collect and integrate a diverse set of data sources
- Build novel models and analyses for the global health community
- Identify any shortcomings of standard analytic and numerical methodologies
- Assist in the preparation of research articles and conference presentations
Key Qualifications and Required Skills
- Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Biostatistics, Engineering, Atmospheric Sciences, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, etc.
- Proficiency in at minimum one scientific computing software (e.g., R, Python, Matlab, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge of numerical techniques common to mathematical and statistical analyses
- Extensive experience working with data
- Passion for improving public health in developing world settings
- Proficiency in current machine-learning and data science methodologies
- Knowledge of experimental design techniques
- Experience analyzing data from complex surveys
- A background in genomic data analyses
We are an equal opportunity employer