Intern - Software Test Engineer Computational Modeling
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: March 23, 2018
The Institute for Disease Modeling (IDM), part of Intellectual Ventures’ Global Good program, is committed to improving and saving lives in developing countries using quantitative analysis. The IDM team is composed of research scientists and software professionals who create advanced models of disease transmission, develop computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conduct analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data, and identify critical knowledge gaps. IDM is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes.
We seek an intern with experience in software development in python, particularly software testing.
- Add code to existing statistical feature tests (SFTs) of the disease transmission kernel (DTK) to enable easier debugging and failure investigation
- Add improved logging to existing DTK SFTs
- Building on the previous refactoring work, duplicate existing DTK SFTs to test more variations of currently tested model features
- Building on the previous duplication work, rewrite feature tests of a DTK model to add statistical power to feature validation. This work will involve consumption of new model outputs, generation of test data for comparison, and performance of statistical tests on model outputs
Key Qualifications and Required Skills
- Experience in software development in Python
- Use of distributed source control (GitHub preferred)
- Use of defect tracking systems (GitHub issues, JIRA tickets, or equivalent)
- Use of common data libraries in Python (Matplotlib, SciPy, Pandas)
- Data science and visualization experience
We are an equal opportunity employer