Intern – Usability Testing
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: March 23, 2018
The Institute for Disease Modeling (IDM), part of Intellectual Ventures’ Global Good program, is committed to improving and saving lives in developing countries using quantitative analysis. The IDM team is composed of research scientists and software professionals who create advanced models of disease transmission, develop computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conduct analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data, and identify critical knowledge gaps. IDM is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes.
The Summer Internship - Usability Testing will work with a small multidisciplinary team to improve the user experience of the resources for learning the IDM disease modeling software. Our team is developing a web-based application for teaching new modelers how to use the modeling software. You will help evaluate the usability of each of the modular lessons in the web application. Additionally, you will evaluate end-to-end “getting started” user story, from application to documentation and finally research, to decrease the time needed to learn how to use IDM software tools.
The perfect candidate will have experience with usability testing, curriculum design, technical writing, user-centered design, or related fields. Good at working independently, identifying gaps in a user story, and advocating for the end-user. Some experience with scientific research is a plus.
- Meet with project teams to understand the application goals and user personas
- Complete a heuristic evaluation of the web user interface
- Create scenarios for usability testing that cover the typical “getting started” tasks
- Conduct usability testing with participants
- Document test results and present recommendations to the team
- Help design new lessons for the web application using wireframes or other prototypes
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or similar in a related field (technical communication, interaction design, user-centered design, usability testing, curriculum design)
- Strong understanding of usability testing techniques
- Experience creating test plans and running usability tests
- Understanding of usability heuristics for user interface design
We are an equal opportunity employer