Desktop Support Engineer, IDM
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Date Published: January 15, 2018
Intellectual Ventures’ (IV) Institute for Disease Modeling (IDM), part of Intellectual Ventures’ Global Good program, is a collaborative effort with Bill Gates to simulate the eradication of infectious diseases using computer software. Global Good takes on some of humanity’s toughest problems through the power of invention by drawing on resources normally reserved for commercial pursuits in the developed world. Global Good combines IV’s unique invention prowess with the expertise of a leading humanitarian organization, forward-looking governments, and commercial partners that share our vision. Together, we invent, develop, and deploy commercially-viable technologies that improve life in developing countries.
The team at IDM is composed of research scientists and software professionals who focus on creating powerful and innovative disease modeling and data analysis tools designed to help researchers and policy makers understand how to control and eradicate infectious diseases. The institute partners with selected universities, NGOs, CDC, WHO, government ministries, and other research and public health institutions focused on researching new ways to understand and combat diseases both locally and globally.
The IDM Desktop Support Engineer/Lead will support the desktop computing environment for an elite team of software developers, testers, and researchers as they are tasked with advanced scientific investigation at the Institute for Disease Modeling. This position will work closely with the entire IDM team to deploy and sustain our new desktop systems, working with our existing IT Operations team to ensure the stability of our computing environment. This position reports to the Operations Manager – IDM.
- Work with the larger IT Operations team to extend and strengthen the IDM computing environment.
- Resolve software and hardware desktop issues reported by the research and software teams.
- Apply or ensure updates to the Windows desktop environment occur on schedule.
- Manage the deployment of software to internally developed software tools.
- Frequently perform machine utilization activities, procuring and decommissioning hardware when required.
- Complete frequent user and performance audits of the desktop environment to ensure the highest level of stability.
- Assist in the development, deployment, and support of internal processes to maintain our desktop environment.
- Develop and deploy group policy updates to enforce operational rules.
- Ensure all assets are properly recorded and tracked within our inventory system.
- Interface with internal technology groups to determine the needs and success criteria for future desktop solutions.
- Ensure procedures are clearly documented, validated, and up-to-date.
- Produce communication to upstream management to outline potential desktop impacts.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Must have at least two years of experience working with desktop teams to harden and deploy domain joined desktop computers.
- Must have at least five years of application support (helpdesk) experience, displaying proficiency resolving hardware and software interoperability issues in a mixed OS environment.
- Working experience with administrative proficiency in:
- Windows 10
- Linux (CentOS 6.x or Fedora 27 or greater preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and apply new software tools.
- Ability to quickly understand our working environment and seek opportunities to streamline our overall process.
- Must work in an agile team environment.
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate potentially complex issues to the larger team.
- Must be able to operate both independently or within a team environment, be self-motivated, and results-minded.
Joining our group provides unique opportunities to interact with global-health policymakers, to collaborate with world-class research laboratories and non-profit organizations, and to contribute to global and national disease control strategies.
We are an equal opportunity employer